Monday, January 30, 2012

Lamp Redo

My daughter decided that she needed a lamp next to her bed so that she could read each night before she goes to sleep. She made a good point and who can argue with a girl who wants to read?

Keeping my budget in mind (little to none). I had the perfect solution. I had been holding onto the lamp that used to be in her nursery when we lived in our old house. The base was ivory with crackle paint and the shade was yellow and green.

Knowing my daughter I knew that the lamp as it was would never fly! I already had the pink paint from the desk so I decided to paint the base with that. For the shade I new she would want something frilly and girly. Because I knew the base was going to be pink I decided that the shade would look good white. I remembered a white sheet that I had recently picked up at a thrift store and got to work.

I started with rolled flowers. After a few hours, several sticks of hot glue and only about 1/8 of the shade done, I decided I needed a different approach. My next idea was ruffles. After several attempts at sewing and pulling and breaking string, I tried a third idea. Hey, third times the charm right? I'm not sure what this type of ruffle is called. I had seen it a few times in various blog posts and have done it myself before as well.

I hot glued the "ruffles" onto the shade and that was it. I love that the paint matches the rest of the room and the ruffles give it that girly feel that we were going for. She loves the lamp and so do I!

No comments:

Post a Comment